Monday, September 5, 2011

Eggplant Parmigiana

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the City Market (Farmer's Market) and feel in Love!  I forgot how amazing that place is.  It's been a couple of years since I've been.  My women's bible study had a day there and I got there and looked around a little because I was so excited and then met at the meeting place.  I was still the first one there.

I left when I ran out of cash and this is what I brought home...Bing cherries, $2 per pound compared to the store $5; grapes; spinch dip mix (which was a hit at work-love it when people ask ME for the recipe); roasted eggplant; roasted anaheim peppers (which I was told they were not spicy and bit into those bad boys-WRONG); and mini pumpkin bread.



As I was walking around, they had free samples and you were able to tried the fruits before you bought them.  At first I didn't but they were pretty persistent that you try.  I was hooked!  However, I thought, this is why people and children go into the grocery store and think they can try food before they purchase.  It can be a little confusing but I don't think the grocery stores honor the same system at the City Market, but maybe.

I bought a eggplant, in hopes of fixing it for the first time.  As I stood in front of the vendor with a friend talking, I said, I've always wanted to cook an eggplant but I don't know how.  A young lady that was behind us said I do and proceeds to tell us how to cook one.  We were both SOLD!  I so loved that people were so friendly and after talking with her, she too was a fellow blogger.  The Adventuresome Kitchen is the name of her blog.  She warned me that she hasn't blogged since May due to homeschooling, summer, and life (I added).  Can't we all relate to life!  

Well weeks have went by and I was getting nerveous about fixing the eggplant.  I had eggplant parmigiana at Olive Garden some years back and still think about that wonderful meal.  It's finally GO time.  I decided to make my own version.  This was not how Jennifer told us to make it but it's all good.



I used:
*please note, I didn't measure anything before I started, so I'm just guessing on measurements
1 eggplant, cut in 1 inch slices (I didn't remove the skin but I suggest it)
1 roasted anaheim pepper
A pinch of garlic/onion mixture (I would say a tsp per eggplant slice)
A couple slices of pepperoni
3 cups of shredded cheese (I used cheddar but you can use your favorite)
1 T. of oil (to coat the dish but you could probably put on eggplant-I used veg. oil)
3 cups spaghetti sauce (not pictured)


This is before the oven.  You can preheat the oven to 450 degree and cook until cheese is starting to brown. I only put pepperoni on a couple of eggplants just in case it was a flop and the same with the anaheim peppers.


After it was done.  It was so good that I almost forgot to take a done picture.  I would suggest using pepperoni on all of them and remove the skin on the eggplant.  You could also serve over pasta but I was so hungry that I just went at it!

Overall, not bad for my first time.  Also, get out there and support your local farmer's market.  The prices for fruits and veggies were way cheaper than the stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment